Friday, December 28, 2012

Creekside step by step PASTEL



Creekside begins with a loose sketch as with all my pastels on velour paper.

The second stage I block in the larger shapes starting at the horizon point.

The third stage just before the completion of this one is really adjusting my values, neutralizing some of the initial 'loud' colors and enhancing some areas with more contrast. I established the back horizon line more with darker values and added a small cottage just peeping over the hill.

I also worked on the rocky hillsides leading into the creek area as well using line to portray the fissures in the rocks.

This paper is velour and was a tan color so I had to work harder with the colors on this paper. With the white paper I chose in previous posts the contrast shows a lot more.

As color is my thing, I always start with strong and bright primaries, they can be knocked back later with grays and neutrals, but one of my pet peeves is a dull pastel painting. In fact i don't like that in any medium..

It's a subjective thought, I know some very capable painters who use very natural colors to portray the landscape around them.. Not for me though, give me DRAMA every time.

If some part of my landscape is to be brown, I would NEVER use brown per se.
I use a red, or orange or bright pink first, then overlay with a brown gray or similar.

With the sky in this and previous posts, I might begin with a bright Turquoise or Cerulean Blue first, then overlay a softer white/creme color, this way the GLOW of the underlaying colors show through.

Hope this helps some of you with questions about my use of color..



No comments: