Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Around The Bend (PASTEL)



I made smoke come from the chimneys which were not  in the original scene, however the smoke (I think) is a nice cozy touch.

This was a tan velour paper so greens and lime colors, yellows and grays, were exactly what I needed to give contrast.

FYI..If my overall painting is going to be green, I usually go with a complimentary colored substrate.

I play up the orangey reds and use that strategy in select places for good lead ins to my subject matter.

I use the sweeping strokes on the road to really get my viewer's attention. These marks were not on my reference photo.

FYI.. Curvilinear and undulating diagonal strokes give direction in a landscape and become 'roadmaps' for the viewer, so be careful where you place them.

This is a pastel on tan velour paper.
9.75 x 27.5" (unframed)

No comments: