Saturday, January 4, 2014

Veranda Shadows



Veranda Shadows is mostly an exercise.

I bought  a  lovely second hand book off Amazon  the other day which is by a wonderful watercolorist  in CA ..
Marilyn Simandle.

I have long admired her work with watercolors, and love the way she leaves her whites.

As many of you know, this is a pet thing with me, I am always urging students to leave whites. It's a discipline many watercolorists forget, and the watercolor loses it's life.

Marilyn Simandle is a master of this discipline I feel.

I decided to follow her lead and just play with elements out of my own travel sketchbook, definitely inflenced by Marilyn's book as well, and came up with this painting.

This one is not for sale, as I said it is an exercise.. Look for more in the future though, and enjoy my journey with Marilyn's techniques.

Happy Painting everyone.
Rae




4 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

This is beautiful. A fun exercise and looks like you are off on a great new year! Hugs.

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Thanks Jo, yes it was a fun one to do, I enjoyed the process.. Hugs back
Xxoo

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Janine M. Comments via email:



So crisp ! Very appealing. Nice all around including the composition and colors. Inspiration is a good thing.....

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Sue W. Comments via email:

Looks like someplace I'd like to hang out with a pitcher of lemonade and a good book, dog at my feet and cat on my lap! Or just listen to the rain one day...