Monday, May 20, 2019

Spanish Portal..Watercolor..Texas Artist...Rae Andrews


This watercolor is on a Crescent Watercolor Board. It is presented unframed

Spanish Portal
15" x 20"
$300 Plus S/H

Prints of this image are also available through Fine Art America




I took photos of this one in stages.. I often get asked how I keep such clean colors.. well I keep a lot of the white paper showing in all my works if I can and no, I don’t use masking fluid (or very rarely).

I simply work in stages ..in  SPANISH PORTAL


 I worked the foliage first, and embellished the foreground with some pot plants..  here are my progress photos.




The pathway behind the gate gets more shadows and foliage on it, and I finish off with a small splatter of paint in the foreground to break the entryway up a little.


I find this method of painting a more complicated scene easier to control. Just sorting the painting into sections, and I can keep the white of the paper pristine this way as well.


Thanks for visiting..


Rae teaches European Workshops in all mediums.

Contact her through this blog or via her website



raeandrews.com




1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

I love gateways and doors, this is soooo beautiful.