Monday, August 30, 2010

Apple and Pear

Okay, the heat is on! This was on a sort of DARE from an artist pal here in Austin, Janine, you started this!

I NEVER do still life, they generally don't tweek my interest but I can certainly admire those done by other artists.

Janine is one such artist, dedicated to still life painting and does a bang up job too I might add.
I have done so much painting over the years, with various genres, and I know still life as with using the figure, is very important to us as artists.

I certainly am not proud of this little 'gem', tee hee. However, it's a start and I will practice, I promise.

It's a pastel on velour again, I must say I do like the apple, the pear, not so much.

I achieved a lovely glow right from the get go with the apple.

One's choice of colors on this paper surface can be tricky, you cannot get the value to pop, unless you have the right tonal contrast, and with all my pastels in stock, (hundreds in fact) I always find I don't have the right color for some thing.. GRRR!

No excuses though, just venting.

I have to say that catching that fleeting light on my window sill in the studio was a feat in itself, I love the geometry it provided.

2 comments:

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Janine Martens comments via e/mail:

The apple does in deed glow – in fact it sparkles and shines. The shadows certainly provide your “signature” movement. I like it lots. More…more…



xoxoxox



Janine

Jo Castillo said...

Sigh.... this is just wonderful. You would never know it was a challenge. :)