Thursday, November 18, 2010

Alaska Gold

These beautiful horses are in the town of Ketchikan Alaska. I knew the title of this painting before I painted this one, the gold of the horses and the fact that Alaska gold is everywhere (tourist trinkets gold that is).

I did this one on velour paper in pastels, and it took an amazing amount of very exact drawing, even for me, who is a drawing fanatic.

I had to do a larger scale of my photo (which I gridded) then transfer it to the paper, and on velour this is very tricky.

Anyway, I finished it, even with this darn tennis elbow, which is very sore again after this painting :(

Incidentally, that is why I have been AWOL, I just had to rest this elbow.
Forgive me. I hope I can get back to producing more paintings very soon.

2 comments:

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

John left this e/mail comment:

Dear Ms. Andrews, my name is John Holt and I own Ketchikan's Horse Drawn Trolley tour. Yesterday, a friend emailed a link to a site having something to do with Artists of Texas, and the site featured your painting "Alaska Gold". I just wanted you to know that I was so pleased to see it. It beautiful! We're fortunate to have 12 Belgian draft horse like those in your painting, and 6 Percherons which a little larger and black. Good luck to you and warm wishes,

John

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Thanks so much for getting in touch with me John, and what a small world it is huh?

I just loved those horses, I could have watched them all day. It was such a treat to get some pretty decent photos of them.

I know I will paint more of your beautiful animals, you can bet on it!
Rae