Friday, November 19, 2010

Italy Cluster

Italy Cluster was done en plein air, in Italy, on a gorgeous sunny day in the hills of Tuscany. Don't ask me to name the town we were at this day, I did not keep track, they all (and we went to a different place everyday almost) started to run together for me.

It was a painting trip to Italy a year ago, with a group of very special artists, we had a villa for two weeks in Tuscany. It was an amazing vacation, painting everyday, great vino, great food, and the ladies were all such fun.

If anyone has painted en plein air before, they will know one has to be quick, it's a race to get that light all the time.

In my case, it was a race to find shade, get a very quick sketch down and try not to sit in an ant nest :)

So having said that, this is a pastel SKETCH (worked on for around an hour) on a rust colored paper (Art Spectrum) and as color is my thing, it allowed be to be quite bold with a fairly unrealistic palette.

Plein air painting is not a huge 'MUST DO' for me, I like my creature comforts too much I guess, but it is great experience, and makes you think and assess the natural light in a very different way to working from a photograph.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful landscape! That is my dream, to paint in Italy, eat pasta and drink good wine.

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Thanks Pat, yes Italy is the creme de la creme to paint. You should definitely go, find a group and foloow your dream.
Good luck, I am off to France next year to paint, another villa for two weeks, yippee!!

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Janine comments via e/mail:

Wonderful !



Janine

Donna Crosby said...

Nice one Rae. I love the energy in this one. Plein air is like a drug for me. Love it.

Dean H. said...

Absolutely great color, Rae! Hugely successful!

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Great to get your comments guys, thanks. I think it funny that this is just a very quick sketch,and it got such positive reviews from you all, maybe I should stick to this way of painting in future?