Sunday, February 26, 2017

Journal Entry 10 (France) Texas Artist..Rae Andrews

 This is a journal entry from the village area I am conducting a workshop in May of this year.

I found this photo on the web.. Of course it's quite embellished and not really a direct copy of the photo I saw.

I like to get a feel for the places I will be going, in preparation for my workshops.. The internet is a wonderful reference 'bounce'...
Hence using this photo.

I will have bunches of my own photos during my trip, I promise.

This watercolor journal entry is in my Stillman and Birn (Beta series) journal.

I truly think it's great prep work to do a quick watercolor sketch such as this prior to a serious watercolor painting of the same or similar scene.

I can plan where I think my whites can be left and assess my tonal values with these small sketches. 

It's also a great way to change the design and composition one might be looking at, and eliminating all unnecessary elements..We are often daunted with a panoramic scene set out in front of us.. 

Less is more is a healthy way to look at it.

These are after all, not meant to be masterpieces, merely a record. 

Enjoy, and I hope you might try journalling sometimes..

Thanks for visiting...


Rae conducts workshops and demonstrations of her many techniques . She uses all media.

Please contact her through this blog, or via her website at:



No comments: