Friday, July 10, 2015

Urban Threads.. Watercolor and Liquid Acrylics



URBAN THREADS  is hot off the presses. This one took a lot of thought and playing with shape and line.
I turned it many ways to see which way looked the best before I signed it.
In fact I could have had this as a horizontal or vertical painting, but in the end, this horizontal won out.

The process was a very playful throw - in of paint at first using my liquid acrylics leaving a LOT of white paper showing. (That's the easy part)
Next I began to place tape down and some curved shapes and using watercolor and some liquid acrylics, I negatively painted around some of the shapes. I still had no clue what was happening, this is purely an INTUITIVE  approach.

The swirly lines were already there from my first lay in. I knew I wanted to make a feature of these.

ABSTRACTS take a lot of concentration, walking away from them, assessing, taking things away,reconstructing. Placing other shapes into the image,  walking away from the image, walking back into the image, it truly is a process.

I love geometric shapes.. However I do love organic shapes as well. This image seemed to tell me it wanted a more structured feeling, and the GRID - like patterns began to pull me around the image.

 The lines I had made in my first throw- in were also a huge lead into and around my image and one I wanted to make a feature of.

So URBAN THREADS  was born.. I hope you like.  :))

This image is unframed in Arches Paper.
7.5" x 6"
$150 Plus S/H

Prints are also available through Fine Art America:
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/urban-threads-rae-andrews.html


You might also take a look at the items FAA make from these images, PILLOWS, PHONE CASES, DUVETS  and TOTE BAGS.



Rae conducts workshops and demonstrations of her techniques in ACRYLICS, PASTELS, OILS, and WATERCOLORS

For more information please contact her at:
rae4art@aol.com

Please visit my Web Site at:
www.yessy.com/raeandrews

or my Blog Site at:
raeandrewsgallery.blogspot.com

No comments: