Thursday, May 31, 2012

Peacock Design on velour paper

So here is my painting.It is a pastel on velour paper and measures 10.5 x 19.5".

Now I have a few reservations on this one.
For one, I arbitrarily chose to execute this one on a piece of white velour paper. Heck, the paper was there, I picked it up, it was the right size, and away I went.
Hmmm.
I think in hindsight, velour is not a good choice, especially white velour.

It gets soo grubby with the use of my blacks and reds (gravity being what it is), as I work on an easel, also not good with this type of painting. I was constantly trying to use my mahl stick to keep my hands (which were extremely grubby) off the paper. In turn I  have a hard time keeping my lines straight now (older age, very bothersome) , and there is no using tape on this surface.

I  found it a little mindboggling to transfer my drawing (which is not traced, but in freehand) to the white paper, again white paper will show all mistakes.

As I have said before, there is no easy erasing on velour. Yikes!

I also found that white pastel, even the gorgeous Schminke pastel (which is very soft) will look creamy colored on the white of this paper, so again, my color choice and substrate was not a good one.

So what to do for the next one in this series?
I could try it in pastel again on a sanded paper, and of course a different color.
or
I could try in acrylic on canvas
or
I could just leave the digital as the piece of art. Is that a cop out?
You tell me..I would love to get your feedback.

This series will be called Animals Are Beautiful People.

No comments: