Friday, January 29, 2016

Rock Pool Treasure...Semi Abstract Pastel..Texas Artist..Rae Andrews

I had the pleasure of doing this demonstration for the Austin Pastel Society last Sunday.
It was very enthusiastic crowd and lots of fun showing my techniques..

My start was using FLUID ACRYLICS on a SAND colored Richeson sanded board.

It was then allowed to dry before I used my pastels pencils and soft pastels to make my shell shapes come into being. I used real shells for my inspiration.

In the end, my board is almost completely covered with pastels.

The shapes from the acrylic pour give me some exciting shapes to enhance or cover up, as the case might be. 

I rarely know my chosen subject or how things will turn out using this technique. I rely on my sense of design and intuition.
This was a fun image to paint, I hope you enjoy this process.

This image is 16" x 20" 
$250 (unframed)

Prints are also available through Fine Art America:

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/rock-pool-treasure-rae-andrews.html?newartwork=true

Rae conducts workshops and demonstrations of her techniques in ACRYLICS, PASTELS, OILS, and WATERCOLORS

For more information please contact her at:
rae4art@aol.com

Please visit my Web Site at:
www.yessy.com/raeandrews

or my Blog Site at:
raeandrewsgallery.blogspot.com


I mostly use my mixtures of liquid acrylics applied with a needle nose applicator bottle


I manipulate the paint pour at times with a brush and water.



I used pastels over the top of the dry painted areas to make the shell shapes appear.

The finished piece.



3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Wow what a finish! It was fun to see you and watch you paint. Hope to be more active this year. Hugs.

Colours by sheri said...

Beautiful painting Rae, I loved being able to see the progress photos...thank-you!

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Thanks girls, it sure was a fun demo.. I hope it inspires people to approach their pastels in different ways .:)))